man cave

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Composition II

I wanted to mention a few more things about composition, so here is your next installment. I have a "secret." I don't whip out my camera and take one great looking photo. I take lots of photos and pick the best one (or ones) to present. The more you take, and the more you objectively study your pictures, the more you will notice what "works" and what doesn't. I like to work a subject by taking lots of pictures from lots of angles and close up, far away, the whole gamut. As you do this, you gain experience in what "works" and you get faster at knowing which ones will turn out. For example, getting down to a child's level almost always works better than standing and looking down at them. Today I had the chance to take a lot of angles of a subject that usually moves too much to make this point.

These angles all work for me, although in this group my favorite is the one on the far right. His arm creates a diagonal line that leads the eye straight to his adorable, sleeping, little face.



These are a few I wasn't as fond of. The bird's eye view is not all that dynamic, but I like that you can see his whole body, and the weird position he fell asleep in. The other one makes his arm and hand look shrunken and kind of scary.

And here are a couple more that I liked, just to show how many I actually take. (By the way the actual number I took for this little experiment was 36, but you get the idea, I ended with far less to show.) I read lots of different blogs and here is another simple little article on the same subject: http://cameradojo.com/2010/08/08/another-take-on-perspective/ While you are over there, he has one more titled : Use a simple angle to make a shot more dramatic. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment